French Onion Soup
* 1/4 cup butter
* 4 medium yellow onions (about 2 pounds), sliced into rings
* 1/2 clove garlic, minced
* 6 cups beef stock from a prime rib if possible. Other roasts can be used but they are not as flavorful. If you aren't doing a roast you may use a beef base mixture.
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1/4 cup dry red wine
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* Salt to taste. Be careful both the roasts and the beef base may make salt unnecessary.
* Ground pepper to taste
* 1 bay leaf
1. In pan over medium heat, melt butter.
2. Add onions and cook until the onions are transparent. You will have to constantly stir them to keep from burning. Add garlic and cook another five minutes.
3.In a pot add other ingredients and bring to a slow boil.
4. Turn pot down to a simmer and add onions and garlic.
5. Continue to simmer for at least a half hour.
6. Remove bay leaf
Serve in small diameter microwavable bowls. Fill bowls with croutons of choice. Home made croutons are great but too much work for me. Fill bowls with soup. Cover top of bowl with a slice of provolone. Microwave until cheese just barely begins to melt. Serve the French Onion Soup and enjoy.